Halloween is on its way! People everywhere are excited to greet the holiday with enthusiasm and a dose of creep. This is usually manifested through makeup and costumes, including people who love to dress up as their favorite movie character or superhero when Trick-or-Treating through the neighborhood. But what’s the best way to have a safe and Happy Halloween for the whole family? Read our non-toxic Halloween makeup tips below!
Non-Toxic Halloween Makeup Tips
If you’re planning on coloring your face to dress up and scare the kids on Halloween, make sure to use all natural, non-toxic makeup products so you can change back into your normal self again afterwards and avoid unnecessary risks to your health.
Studies have shown that many different kinds of foundations and appearance enhancers used during Halloween are full of toxic chemicals. If you want to avoid an unhealthy Halloween, it is imperative that you avoid the following ingredients and instead opt for non-toxic makeup products.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate: May cause irritation, canker sores, eye damage, acne, and is commonly found in shampoos, body washes, foundations, mouthwashes and toothpaste.
- BHA: As a human carcinogen, this chemical may cause skin depigmentation, liver damage, and even stomach cancer. Commonly found in exfoliants and perfumes.
- Parabens: Found in makeup, moisturizer, shaving gel, shampoo, lubricants and spray tan products. Parabens may cause reproductive development disorders and even cancer!
- Dibutyl Phthalate, Toluene, and Formaldehyde: It may be a mouth-full, but it’s worth remembering! These dangerous chemicals are commonly found in nail polish and nail products, known to cause birth defects, endocrine disruption, headaches, and respiratory problems.
Don’t kick the costumes to the curb yet! Only pitch the toxic-ingredient filled products. And before you start feeling regret, look here! There are healthy, all natural makeup products available at a low price to ensure maximum health and spook.
At Natural Beauty Lifestyle, there are a wide variety of different face paints and makeup products. For example, the Natural Face Paint Kit is a non-toxic, safe, eco-friendly selection of vibrant colors to brighten up the holiday. Or if you like a detailed, realistic sort of spook that encompasses a personnel twist, look no further than the Homemade halloween makeup recipe at Alive that uses all natural ingredients.
DIY Halloween Makeup* Recipe
*Not for internal use or consumption
- 6 tsp (30 mL) organic cornstarch
- 3 tsp (15 mL) water
- 3 tsp (15 mL) natural cold cream
- Natural food coloring in different colors (Custom)
- 6-cup muffin tin
In each cup of the muffin tin, mix 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch, 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) water, and 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) natural cold cream. Place 1 drop of a different color of natural food coloring in each of the cups. Add more drops if necessary to reach the shade desired. Be careful not to overdo it.
Enjoy your healthy, spooky Halloween!!
Photo by Toni Cuenca from Pexels